In pandemic time, more than a month in the past seems even longer than it seems! It has been a bit more since the H5P/PB Kitchen shared the project at the BCcampus Cascadia Summit (April 27-29, 2021).
Our panel session was “Practice Makes Perfect! Supporting the Development of H5P Practice Activities in Pressbooks and included project team Clint Lalonde and Alan Levine (BCcampus), and project participants Brenna Clark Gray (TRU) and Simon Lolliot (UBC).
In the spring of 2020, BCcampus awarded five OER Development Grants to British Columbia instructors to develop web-based student practice activities. In this session, grantees and grantors will discuss the project, focusing on the pedagogical rationale of practice and the types of support grantors can provide to new OER grantees.
This might be suitable for listening while making your next meal or even washing dishes! We provide below quick links to each panelist segment, but each one included discussion but all panel members.
- Clint provided an overview of the BCcampus OER Development Project (00:39)
- Brenna shared examples and provided insight into the 124 H5P activities added to Writing for Success (10:30)
- And Simon followed with a taste of over 500 H5P practice activities added to a new version Psychology 2e, imported into Pressbooks from OpenStax (20:57)
- Alan wrapped up with a guide to the support components provided to project participants and “explained the whole kitchen thing” (36:24)
- End of session Q&A (48:54)
A big thanks to Brenna and Simon for sharing their work in this panel session. Note that the final final tweaks and updates are almost done on their projects so that the new H5P “infused” versions will be soon available in the BCcampus Open Textbook Collection.
And also thanks to the Cascadia conference organizers for including us plus Tim Carson for being a great session host.
Image Credit: A screenshot of the Cascadia Open Summit website with the H5P/PB logo planted atop the peak.